Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Golden Globe Predictions


The awards season is in full swing, and tomorrow night the stars will get wasted to celebrate the random, pointless awards known as the Golden Globes (let's face it, they're certainly no Oscar or Emmy). Just because they don't always make sense and aren't always accurate (Anna Paquin? Really?) doesn't mean we can't have our fun too.

Listed below are my predictions for tomorrow night's winners and commentary on some of the other nominees.

Best Drama Series:
Big Love - Although this season was definitely its strongest to date, I doubt it has the power or the buzz to take down the two-time champ.
Dexter
House
Mad Men - I'm almost positive nothing can top it. This season brought about so much change. Jon Hamm and January Jones gave their best performances ever as their marriage fell apart, and the world of Sterling Cooper was turned upside down in the monumental season finale.
True Blood

Best Performance by an Actor in a Drama Series:
Simon Baker, The Mentalist - A win for Baker definitely would not surprise me, but I feel like some of the others would be more deserving.
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men - Hamm's performance on the show has just been improving since its first season. Since he won back then, it's only natural that he win tomorrow night as well.
Hugh Laurie, House - I'm not a House fan. At all. But I still believe Laurie does a great job on the show. If Mad Men doesn't sweep all of the drama categories, it will probably be because of him.
Bill Paxton, Big Love

Best Performance by an Actress in a Drama Series:
Glenn Close, Damages
January Jones, Mad Men - I'm voting with my heart. I have an unhealthy obsession with January Jones and her alter ego Betty Draper. The woman drops my jaw and leaves me speechless episode after episode. If they announce Jones as a winner tomorrow night, the loud shriek you'll hear will be me in my dorm room causing my roommate's eardrums to burst.
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife - If I were voting with my head...
Anna Paquin, True Blood
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

Best Comedy Series:
30 Rock
Entourage
Glee - Yes, I am a fan. And yes, I am almost positive it will win. But I would prefer the award go to a more evenly written, consistent comedy.
Modern Family - This is the best comedy on television right now. Hands down. Every member of the ensemble leaves me in stitches, and it will be a shame to see them lose tomorrow night.
The Office

Best Performance by an Actor in a Comedy Series:
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock - And the Globe goes to... Jim Parsons! Oh wait... Since the best performance by an actor in a comedy series didn't get a nomination, I guess it will have to go to Baldwin. Don't get me wrong, I love him and think he's hilarious. But it's so wrong that Parsons got snubbed.
Steve Carell, The Office
David Duchovny, Californication
Thomas Jane, Hung
Matthew Morrison, Glee

Best Performance by an Actress in a Comedy Series:
Toni Collette, The United States of Tara
Courteney Cox, Cougar Town
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie - Falco's return to television turned into one of the most talked about shows of the summer. Since she has already won two Globes as Carmela Soprano, it would be no surprise for her to earn another one tomorrow night.
Tina Fey, 30 Rock - I would just like to take this opportunity to say how much I love this woman and this show.
Lea Michele, Glee - In my opinion, Michele gives the best performance on the show (besides Jane Lynch, I suppose). She's young, she sings, and she's everything the Globes love.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role:
Michael Emerson, Lost - This category could go to just about anyone. Emerson's performance on Lost would be a great way to go.
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother - I'll refrain from using the words "wait for it" and "legendary." NPH is hilarious and awesome. End of story. I respect him so much and think he is far overdue for an award.
William Hurt, Damages
John Lithgow, Dexter - Dexter is one of the next shows on my TV to-do list, and I cannot wait to watch the fourth season and witness Lithgow's buzzed about performance (and the season finale I've already had spoiled for me).
Jeremy Piven, Entourage

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role:
Jane Adams, Hung
Rose Byrne, Damages - I haven't had a chance to experience season two yet, but Byrne was definitely my favorite part of the first season. I definitely would not mind seeing her go home with a Globe tomorrow.
Jane Lynch, Glee - Sue Sylvester has quickly become one of the funniest and most quotable characters on television, so I assume the Glee love will continue and score Lynch an award.
Janet McTeer, Into the Storm
Chloƫ Sevigny, Big Love - Season three was Nicki's season. Sevigny portrayed the part flawlessly, and I hope the love for Big Love carries over to this year's Emmys.

And since apparently they award movies on this show too...

Best Picture, Drama:
Avatar

Best Actor, Drama:
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

Best Actress, Drama:
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

Best Picture, Comedy/Musical:
It's Complicated

Best Actor, Comedy/Musical:
Daniel Day-Lewis, Nine

Best Actress, Comedy/Musical:
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

Best Supporting Actor:
Cristoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress:
Mo'Nique, Precious

Best Director:
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

Best Animated Film:
Up

Watch the Golden Globes tomorrow night at 8 PM EST (7 PM CST) on NBC to see how well I did!

Currently watching:
Big Love Season 3
Episode 10 - Sacrament

No comments:

Post a Comment