Monday, January 18, 2010

The Ups & Downs of the Golden Globes




Well, the film side of the Golden Globes were pretty predicable (I guessed 7 out of 10 categories correctly), but the television categories were full of surprises (just 4 out of 8). Regardless of my prediction success, I enjoyed last night's show. As usual, the celebrities were drunkenly providing us with laughter all night (Felicity Huffman and T-Bone Streep), and several of my favorite shows and actors received awards. Of course, we can't always get what we want, so I'll just complain about it on here. Enjoy.

My highlights of the evening:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television
Chloƫ Sevigny, Big Love
With season 3 of Big Love fresh in my mind, Sevigny's performance stands out the most. I love Jane Lynch on Glee, and I was truly shocked that she didn't win. But Sevigny acted her heart out this season, and she deserves her Globe. This is why comedic and dramatic actresses shouldn't be clumped into the same category.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
I've only seen a few episodes of Dexter and Six Feet Under, but that was enough to know that Michael C. Hall is a superb actor. I'm happy to see he finally won an award for the show, and I can't wait to start watching soon. And the fact that he waited until voting had closed to announce his battle with cancer just makes him seem like such a classy man.

NBC Jokes
Since the awards show took place in the midst of all the NBC, Jay, and Conan drama, it was no surprise that NBC was the butt of many jokes made by the stars. My Favorites:
"Let's get on with it before NBC replaces me with Jay Leno." - Host Ricky Gervais in his opening monologue
"I just want to thank [CBS execs] Les Moonves and Nina Tassler for believing in the 10 o' clock drama." - Julianna Margulies of CBS's The Good Wife in her acceptance speech
"It's not rain. It's just God crying for NBC." - Tina Fey on the red carpet

The "not so Golden" Globes:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama
Julianna Marguilies, The Good Wife
I was not surprised. But I was not angry either. I still firmly believe that January Jones is one of the most talented dramatic actresses on television, and I hope she will receive some recognition for her amazing third season as Betty Draper at this year's Emmy Awards. Nonetheless, I've been watching The Good Wife, and Marguilies gives a great performance week after week. She deserves the Golden Globe. We'll just give the Emmy to Jones...

Best Television Series - Comedy or Musical
Glee
I'm a HUGE Glee fan. I watch every week. I own both soundtracks. Heck, I even have a t-shirt! But would I say it's the best comedy on television right now? No. That title belongs to Modern Family - no contest. Glee isn't consistent enough week to week, and many of the plots seemed rushed in the first thirteen episodes. I believe it has the potential to be a great comedy, but it hasn't gotten there yet. Modern Family, on the other hand, has been there since the pilot. But now that the writers have gotten a chance to see the fans' reactions to the first half of the season, I have high hopes for the rest of this year on Glee.

Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical
The Hangover
This one was one of the biggest surprises in my opinion. I'm not going going to say it doesn't deserve the win since I haven't seen it yet. But is it really a better movie than It's Complicated, Julie & Julia, or (500) Days of Summer (which I consider to be one of the greatest films of the year)? Maybe once I see it I'll change my mind, since I keep hearing good things about it.

Currently watching:
Damages Season 2
Episode 1: I Lied, Too

No comments:

Post a Comment